Tuesday, November 17, 2009


16 Nov.
Things just get better and better. I love it here, the people the food... mmh
FOOD
This is especially for Janie cause she asked about the food. My first Thai meal was delicious. Rice, chopped up chicken breast softly cooked. The small bowls from the left is: chicken soup, middle: mild sause, hot chilli sause. To the right is cucumber. A lot of food for a small person such as I. As I was struggling to get everything in the Thai man who brought the food, topped up my chicken soup... this is what happens when you misunderstand one another. I thought he motioned to take the bowl but he decided I needed some more soup and brought more cucumber. All of this for a mere 35 bath (R7).
Yesterday I walked around Phuket town, just exploring and came to an amazing lookout over Phuket city. To the left I saw the sea, to the right was a mountain where the sun was setting. WOW! Stunning, this is where I missed a special friend of mine... By now I was tired from the walking and treated myself to a very expensive meal: steak and tjips 240 bath. Which is actually what I would have paid in South Africa.
There are all kinds of food and treats on the streets. Today I bought freshly chopped up pineapple and papaya for 10 bath. I don’t know if you are interested in the prises but this is very important to me as I love budgeting and getting more than what I pay for, bargaining. Another lovely discovery is sweet potato with grated sweet coconut!

I am very cautious of what I eat because on Saturday, famished from walking around at the beach side I was in desperate need of food. Sat down while showing the Thai people a picture of what I thought looked nice: White rice, fried egg and chicken mix. The first thing they put in front of me was a huge jug of water with ice. I should have read the signs... what followed was finely chopped up chicken cooked in chillies. For those of you who know me, know I hate hot food. Unfortunately the Thais love it. They can’t speak English but saw I found the food extremely hot. Half way into it I just called it quits. They probably took pity on me that’s why they brought me some carrot and potato soup. Now that was good!
This shows how friendly these people are. Always willing to give more than what you expect of them.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Die kos lyk lekker! Altyd gewonder hoe sal kos wees daar en ek hou van die pryse.... dink ek moet kom kuier!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home